Re: Creating a preconfigured debian image

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 07:30:02PM +0400, Alexander GQ Gerasiov wrote:
> I need to create preconfigured debian image for some embedded device.
> On the first boot user should see configuration interface, which allows
> him to setup network, hostname, login name etc.
>
> I'm not familiar with d-i internals, but think, that it would be better to
> use some debian-installer's components for this.
> So I need some hints, how is it possible to create such configuration
> wizard.

d-i certainly as far as I know assumes you are going to be getting and
installing the software from some media (or the network).  That proably
is NOT what you would be doing.

I suspect you would be better of creating and image for the system with
debootstrap or similar, and then setting it up to launch the initial setup
on first boot and then having that config tool turn itself off when done.

At least that is how I would do it.

--
Len Sorensen