Re: New partman-basicfilesystems debconf templates

On Jul 27, 2013, at 12:27 PM, Rick Thomas wrote:

On Jul 26, 2013, at 11:23 PM, Christian PERRIER wrote:

We already have such a template, but it says "on the first PRIMARY
partition". Would it be wrong to add this "primary" word to the
templates you added?

The word "primary" refers to a peculiarity of the PC-style MBR partitioning scheme. I believe Pegasos uses a very different partitioning scheme, so adding "primary" would be incorrect and confusing.

Googling a bit more, it looks like [1] the Pegasos Open Firmware does have some limited support for MS-DOS style MBR partitioning of the boot disk. In this case, the boot partition can *only* be primary -- it doesn't understand extended or logical partitions.

So the question of whether "primary" is appropriate depends on whether you are using Amiga style or MS-DOS style partitioning.

Curiousser and curiousser cried Alice!

Rick

[1] http://old-en.opensuse.org/PegasosQuickStart