Re: Re: Problems and questions with preseeding

On Fri 12 Apr 2013 at 15:58:53 +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Vincent McIntyre, le Mon 08 Apr 2013 23:23:14 +1000, a écrit :
> > Should this instead be worded '... is not defined on all arches'?
>
> I guess so.
>
> > Here's the patch, any good Phil?
>
> Seems good, I commited it.

Looking at the first part of the patch:

   . . . the 'auto' part of the examples is a syslinux boot label
   which adds the kernel parameters . . .

The important bit appears to be to promote the idea that auto is a boot
label. 'boot label' is mentioned precisely once in the present Manual.
Where? In section B.2.3. Now it is repeated in a footnote. I would
question whether anything has been achieved in increasing the reader's
understanding.

What exactly is this 'boot label'? On Wheezy it is unexplained. The
curious user might work out what it is and how to use it. Eventually.

I've previously remarked that this part of the Manual is accurate, but
it really makes you work hard for your money. On Etch it may have been a
relatively easy. On Wheezy it smacks of retroism. On Jessie - who knows?

Now, in this patch, 'boot label' has aquired has an adjective. Does this
make it more understandable? Or does the reader additionally have to do
a investigation of the i386 booting process to get up to speed?

Moving on:

   The auto kernel parameter is an alias for . . .

I'll merely remark that 'auto' is not a kernel parameter. The statement
conflicts with the earlier assertion.

Regards,

Brian.