Re: trouble with networking on T40

On 03/31/2013 02:08 PM, Chris Frey wrote:
> According to the documentation I've read, all I should need to do is
> download the firmware.tar.gz file and put it on a USB key.

This is not correct.

> Do I need to put this file in a special directory?

Yes:
"To prepare a USB stick (or other medium like a hard drive partition, or
floppy disk), the firmware files or packages must be placed in either
the root directory or a directory named /firmware of the file system on
the medium."

http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch06s04.html

> Is it not possible to put the firmware on the same
> USB key that I'm booting from?

I believe this works fine, but I have not needed to do an install with
firmware for quite some time (someone correct me if I'm wrong, please).

Create your USB install media as usual, create a /firmware directory on
it, and untar the contents of firmware.tar.gz in the /firmware
directory. Boot, install, enjoy. :)

--
Kind regards,
Michael