re: Tweaking preseed.cfg for semi-custom installs

> 2.  Manually partition disk on each install

To do this I just don't preseed any partitioning details.
If the installer does not know what to do, it should ask you.
If that doesn't work, does setting just
  partman-auto/automatically_partition  80custom__________custom
do the trick?

> 3. Manually select use of Lilo or Grub as boot loader - YES responsibility for strange errors will be my own ;/

I am guessing here but I think the same may apply - don't give d-i
any clues. You should get thrown back to the main menu which will
let you select between GRUB or LILO.

Failing that, possibly preseeding both lilo-installer/manual_bootdev [1]
and grub-installer/bootdev [2] will force the installer to ask you to
make yp your mind.

Can you post what works/doesn't here?

HTH
Vince