Re: Debian-installer export custom variable

Brian Potkin <claremont102@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed 19 Dec 2012 at 14:59:15 +0000, Brian Potkin wrote:
>
>> probably summarises the situation best. Would it please be possible to
>> consider changing the "auto url=" lines to "auto=true url=" or to accept
>> a patch doing so.
>
> Someone should say "no" to this request because, no matter the confusion
> that they may have caused, these lines are valid. Section B.2.3. takes
> some trouble to describe how shortened urls are expanded if necessary.
> This might be seen as a major benefit which "auto=true url=" brings.
>
> So can we look at this from another angle? At
>
>    http://d-i.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apbs01.html#preseed-methods
>
> we have
>
>      In order to avoid the questions that would normally appear
>      before the preseeding occurs, you can start the installer
>      in “auto” mode. This delays questions that would normally
>      be asked too early for preseeding . . . .
>
> Now "auto=true url=" is surely “auto” mode? Except using something like
>
>    auto url=file:///mnt/./preseed.cfg
>
> does not delay the locale and keymap questions. This is either a bug in
> the documentation or in the preseeding component of d-i.

It looks more like either a mistake in the auto target in syslinux
config, or a misinterpretation of the meaning of the auto examples.

Are you specifying this auto bit as kernel options, or as the name of
the kernel target?

If the former, so if you're just adding auto on the end of the kernel
command line, then you're misunderstanding what is supposed to be
happening.

There is supposed to be a kernel target named "auto" which is defined
such that it includes the options:

  auto=true priority=critical

on the kernel command line.  That's what you should be running if you
select the Auto-install target from the menu, which you should then
either edit the kernel command line on, or (assuming it still works) it
should prompt you for the extra bits you'd want to add.

This is actually mentioned, although perhaps not very clearly, in B.2.3
in the manual:

  http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apbs02.html#preseed-auto

  The auto boot label is not yet defined everywhere. The same effect may
  be achieved by simply adding the two parameters auto=true
  priority=critical to the kernel command line.

Does that clear up your issue?  If so, feel free to suggest how that
could have been better described in the manual (as it currently suffers
From having been written by the same people that wrote the software).

Cheers, Phil.