Re: Guided partitioning: no BOOTABLE flag required on partition?

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 09:41:15PM +0200, Holger Wansing wrote:
> testing beta3, I noted that there is no partition marked with the
> BOOTABLE flag, when I use the Guided partitioning (no matter if I use
> "All files in one partition" or "Separate /home partition" or
> "Separate /home, /tmp and /usr partition").
>
> Is this no longer needed?
> I have in mind, that the partition holding the boot kernel, has
> to be bootable.

Some BIOSes assume the disk must have a dos partition table with a
partition marked bootable.  I would call such BIOSes broken, but that
is debateable.

With grub/lilo/whatever in the BOOT sector of the drive though, it doesn't
care if there is a partition marked bootable or not.  It doesn't use it.

The microsoft MBR code on the other hand would look for the flag and
read the first sector of the partition with the boot flag and jump to it
(so chainload whichever partition was marked as bootable).

--
Len Sorensen