Re: Proposal to add patches to netcfg (#682737)

Brian Potkin wrote:
> I realise a default is only a default and the selection can be changed,
> but I'm puzzled by the third option. Why treat a wireless install
> differently from a wired install? It would expected that a user who has
> chosen not to use a wired connection would still want connectivity after
> booting into into the new system,

On the one hand we have people installing a fixed machine that has
only wifi connectivity. These do exist -- two examples I'm familiar with
are a friend whose workplace uses wifi for industrial controllers on the
factory floor, and a parent whose desktop machine is an eeePC with a
wifi antenna.

On the other hand, we have users who chose not to install a desktop
environment but want their machine to migrate between networks when it's
moved. These users are going to need to do some form of sysadmin work
post-install, whether it's installing a desktop environment and wicd, or
editing /etc/network/interfaces on each fresh network, or bringing up
wifi connections by hand. So I can't see locking a default into
/etc/network/interfaces causing them much bother.

--
see shy jo