Re: summer of code: debian installer project

Hi Richard

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:32:38 +0000, Richard Kenyon <richardlkenyon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a CS student and user of Debian and I'd like to take part in the
> summer of code.
> This project looks both interesting and at about the right level of
> difficulty for me.
>
> I don't really mind what tools I use but C is one of the languages
> that I particularly enjoy working with.
> As a user of Debian I have some basic knowledge of package management,
> this won't be enough, but I am more than happy to learn more.
> Similarly with the installer, I am familiar with it, but will need to
> dig around more.
>
> I would really like to work on this project since I've always felt
> that the wireless support in the installer let Debian down a bit,
> and the results would directly benefit me as well many other Debian users.
>
> I'm contacting you now to ask what my next steps should be, where
> should I direct my attention, do you want any sort of deliverable
> before I apply?

Sounds like you would be a good fit for the project. As for the next
steps. Please submit your application n the Debian wiki [1] using the
provided template [2]. Don't forget to also apply on the Summer of Code
Site [3] as soon as student registrations open.

There is currently one other application for the project and someone
else contacted me. If you all apply for the same project I might give
you a small taks to evaluate you applications after the application
deadline. On the other hand we could probably also need more than one
student working on the installer if you would also be interested in
working on other parts of the installer. We would also need more mentors
then though and it's not yet clear how many students for the Debian project
will be approved. This will be decided after the student application
deadline.

Best,
Gaudenz

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/StudentApplications