Re: cat'ing remastered iso's direct to usb?

Ryan Braun wrote:

>Hey guys,  love that squeeze can be cat'd direct to the usb device for usb
>installs.  I've remastered a squeeze kde install image,  it burns and installs
>fine from dvd (theres more then just squeeze on it),  but when I try to cat it
>to the usb drive,  it won't boot like a stock squeeze iso.
>
>So my question,  is there some kind of magic that needs to be done to the iso
>in order to be able cat squeeze.iso > /dev/sdb?
>
>FWIW here is my mkisofs command used to generate the image.
>
>mkisofs -o $ISONAME -r \
>        	-b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat \
>        	-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
>        	-boot-info-table $MASTER

You need to use xorriso to do the isohybrid trick. If you look in the
file ".disk/mkisofs" on any official Debian CD, you'll find the exact
command line that was used to master the CD, to help in exactly this
kind of situation. You can safely ignore the jigdo pieces; the bits
you need for the isohybrid stuff are:

 -isohybrid-mbr syslinux/usr/lib/syslinux/isohdpfx.bin -partition_offset 16

HTH!

"You can't barbecue lettuce!" -- Ellie Crane