#657560: apt: ...i18n_Translation-en Encountered a section with no Package: header

severity 657560 serious
thanks

Le 27.01.2012 22:01, Michael Prokop a écrit :
> All of:
>
> #657029 - mirrors: apt-get update does not understand content negotiation
> #657560 - apt: ...i18n_Translation-en Encountered a section with no Package: header
> #657563 - aptitude: Fails on bzip2-only Translation files
>
> are about the same issue, leaving the according merge and further
> actions to the maintainers though (especially as apt can't continue
> in the situation, while aptitude can but doesn't provide any details
> about the error, see according bugreports for details).

I'm hereby rising the severity of this bug above RC level because it
makes current daily builds of the debian-installer fail due to "unknown"
errors (those are not easy to track down). When actually taking a look
at /var/log/syslog, that's where the "Encountered a section with no
Package: header" appears. This error is thrown out because apt fails to
uncompress the Translation-*.bz2 files in absence of bzip2 and then
fails to read them (eh, they are still compressed).

(Workaround for users of the debian-installer dailies is then to `chroot
/target; apt-get install bzip2` and hit "retry". )

So apt should either:

a) gracefully fallback on short translations when it fails to
uncompress/parse the Translation packages;
b) Bump its Suggests: bzip to a {Pre-}Depends on bzip2 / libbz2-1.0 (if
sufficient) to be able to actually download and decompress
Translation-*.bz2 files (which are the only Translation-* files on the
Debian mirrors network).

Cheers,

OdyX