Re: Trying to install Wheezy on an Asus Zenbook UX32VD

Hello folks,

(still catching up with a bunch of unread mails on debian-boot@…)

Bart-Jan Vrielink <bartjan@vrielink.net> (25/11/2012):
> On 25-11-12 18:46, Brian Potkin wrote:
> >GRUB tells you:
> >
> >      If all of your operating systems are listed above, then it
> >      should be safe to install the boot loader to the master
> >      boot record of your first hard drive.
> >
> >In fact, GRUB will always install to /dev/sda, which may or may not be
> >the MBR of your first hard drive. I do not know why this screen cannot
> >say GRUB will go in the MBR of /dev/sda.
> >
> >Also, how could GRUB guess you really wanted it in the MBR of /dev/sdX?
> >I think this is why you are given the opportunity to decline its offer.
>
> Well, maybe because it is not that unusual to boot off an USB stick
> in order to install the OS? More and more laptops come without
> optical drives these days, and an installer should be able to cope
> with that...
> Yeah, there is a manual option to override, but GRUB should be
> smarter than that, and attempt to install to the first drive on
> which software was installed to, and not just the alphabetically
> first drive.

I've suggested something along those lines in #696615, please see:

I'd be happy to have some feedback on that proposal. That includes
heading about scenarios where a currently good behaviour would be
broken by such an implementation.

Mraw,
KiBi.