Re: Experience and problems in installing wheezy b-4

On Thu 22 Nov 2012 at 22:25:39 +0530, L V Gandhi wrote:

> I downloaded kde version of wheezy b-4.

The URL you used was

   http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/wheezy_di_beta4/i386/iso-cd/ ?

But maybe amd64 instead of i386.

> Problems are listed below.
> 1) I used netbootin and prepared USB stick from iso. Though it booted from
> USB, it was looking for CD for further installation.

UNetbootin? Last time I used it it didn't even display a Debian splash
screen and some of the menus did not function. It did boot but I doubt
anyone (not me, anyway) is going to debug the operation of this software,
especially as the CD FAQ at

   http://www.debian.org/CD/

and the install manual describe a reliable method for writing an ISO on
a USB device. Is there any reason why you cannot use it?

I think d-i says it is detecting and mounting a CD-ROM. Somewhat
confusing if you have a USB stick. In expert mode there should be a
message which says CD-ROM autodetection has been successful.

> Hence I have to burn a CD.

Please see above.

> 2) While installing from CD, I tried to use wifi. But  wifi could not be
> configured. Though same wifi works in kubuntu, mint and also previously in
> b-3.

In what way could it not be configured? Firmware? WPA passphrase? A
problem with the access point?

> I think it needs more time to get connected. If there is some time
> configuration to allow it to connect in stead of standard, it could have
> saved the trouble.
> 3)Both in b-3 and b-4, i have downloaded KDE cd. But when I select desktop
> in task during installation, it downloads and installs GNOME, not the KDE
> in CD.

The CD contains everything you need to get KDE. Try it without any network
connection. My beta-3 KDE ISO gave me KDE with the network operative.