[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Bug#689221: installation-reports: QNAP TS-409U does not reboot after installation

reassign 689221 mdadm
found 689221 3.1.4-1+8efb9d1+squeeze1
forcemerge 621786 689221
usertags 621786 + pca.it-installation

Hi there!

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 23:12:33 +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
> Cc:ing Wolfgang Karall, author of the 00-wait4hdds script.  I am sorry
> for the long email.

Sorry for the false positive, Wolfgang, it was an mdadm problem.

> At the next reboot mdadm does not segfault anymore, so at least this
> problem is fixed in 3.2.5-3~bpo60+1, it could be related to:
>   <http://bugs.debian.org/621786>

I am quite sure I got it by this one, I do not know why I have not
completely read it the first time, it would have saved me quite a lot of

Cc:ing all the persons involved in that bug: Arnaud, I would try
mdadm_3.2.5-3~bpo60+1 (from backports, and a more recent kernel just to
be sure).  If we experience the same bug that should be solve it.

> However, the array is still not assembled:
> Except for the fact that all the mdadm errors are gone, the VG is not
> found: is thus an LVM problem?  I found very strange that within d-i
> everything seems to work, though.  Anyway, enough for today, I will have
> again access to the machine the night between Sunday 14th and Monday
> 15th.

Bingo!  It is indeed an mdadm problem once the segfault was corrected.
And I was actually the cause when I inserted the ARRAY line in
/etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf, using the hostname and not what was in the output
of `mdadm --detail /dev/md0`:
(initramfs) mdadm --examine --scan
ARRAY /dev/md/0 metadata=1.2 UUID=a79d76f0:d98fecfb:5375bcd6:5fd506f0 name=debian:0

(initramfs) cat /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
DEVICE partitions
HOMEHOST <system>
ARRAY /dev/md/0 metadata=1.2 UUID=a79d76f0:d98fecfb:5375bcd6:5fd506f0 name=jem:0

(initramfs) rm /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
(initramfs) echo "DEVICE partitions" >/etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
(initramfs) mdadm --examine --scan >>/etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
(initramfs) mdadm --assemble --scan --run --auto=yes --homehost=debian
[  606.885288] md: md0 stopped.
[  606.942101] md: bind<sdb1>
[  606.972191] md: bind<sdc1>
[  606.997333] md: bind<sdd1>
[  607.032125] md: bind<sda1>
[  607.056058] async_tx: api initialized (async)
mdadm: /dev/md/0 has been started with 4 drives.
[  608.009994]  md0: unknown partition table

(initramfs) vgchange -a y
  3 logical volume(s) in volume group "jem" now active

(initramfs) Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ... done.
[  825.742001] md: resync of RAID array md0
[  825.746272] md: minimum _guaranteed_  speed: 1000 KB/sec/disk.
[  825.752843] md: using maximum available idle IO bandwidth [...]

On a new install (same partition table, but avoiding to format the 6TB
LV volume) I get the same errors for glibc/mdadm and also at reboot.
Installing mdadm from backports produced a kernel panic:
mdadm: /dev/md/0 has been started with 4 drives.
[    7.301446]  md0: unknown partition table
Success: assembled all arrays.
[    7.598948] device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
[    7.608747] device-mapper: ioctl: 4.15.0-ioctl (2009-04-01) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ... done.
[    8.864070] md: resync of RAID array md0
[    8.869113] md: minimum _guaranteed_  speed: 1000 KB/sec/disk.
[    8.875425] md: using maximum available idle IO bandwidth (but not more than 200000 KB/sec) for resync.
[    8.885987] md: using 128k window, over a total of 1953512960 blocks.
[    8.893073] md: resuming resync of md0 from checkpoint.
[    9.418368] kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
[    9.427444] EXT3 FS on dm-0, internal journal
[    9.431814] EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
[    9.436399] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done.
[    9.791057] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
[    9.797071] [<c002f078>] (unwind_backtrace+0x0/0xdc) from [<c027c6b8>] (panic+0x34/0x128)
[    9.805255] [<c027c6b8>] (panic+0x34/0x128) from [<c004e6e4>] (do_exit+0x6c/0x678)
[    9.812862] [<c004e6e4>] (do_exit+0x6c/0x678) from [<c004ed78>] (do_group_exit+0x88/0xbc)
[    9.821071] [<c004ed78>] (do_group_exit+0x88/0xbc) from [<c005be7c>] (get_signal_to_deliver+0x2f4/0x330)
[    9.830576] [<c005be7c>] (get_signal_to_deliver+0x2f4/0x330) from [<c002b6d4>] (do_notify_resume+0x70/0x630)
[    9.840424] [<c002b6d4>] (do_notify_resume+0x70/0x630) from [<c0028ec8>] (work_pending+0x1c/0x20)

Given that I have never had any kernel panic in my previous tests, I do
not know where it comes from.

I will prepare a d-i network-console based on 20110106+squeeze4+b1 plus
mdadm_3.2.5-3~bpo60+1 and try again the full installation next Sunday
21st: if everything goes well, I will close this bug :-)

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Attachment: pgpdoXDJ6Nq4V.pgp
Description: PGP signature

Reply to: