Using xz compression for initrd udebs?

Hello,

One of  my co-maintainers for fonts changed the fonts-sil-abyssinica
package to use xz compression for *deb packages.

Is it OK to upload the package with such change, d-i wise? This is the
only change along with the drop of an empty directory in the package
(cruft left from ttf-* -> fonts-* naming transition)?

I think it should hurt and would indeed reduce the initrd size
slightly...as long as we do support xz uncompression in the D-I
initrd.