Re: Processor microcode update packages (was: Towards d-i wheezy beta 3)

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 11:29:39AM -0400, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> I think this should be mentioned somewhere *much* more prominent. I
> consider myself pretty tech-savy, but only stumbled upon this just now
> on the this list. Can a non-free package be made essential or
> required? It seems there is really absolutely no-reason other than
> non-freeness for not installing this by default.

It is only essential if your CPU has a microcode bug that affects you
AND your motherboard maker isn't providing useful bios updates AND you
don't apply bios updates.

So for a lot of people it is in fact not essential at all.

--
Len Sorensen