A newebie's role? - was [Re: Installation-guide cleanup]

Karsten Merker wrote:
Hello everybody,

I have been looking through the installation guide and tried to
read it from a "new user" perspective. [large snip]

I assume you refer to www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/installmanual.en.html
{with substitution of appropriate distributions name}.

As a very new user I agree with the problems you listed.
I also recall the problems I ran into decades ago when attempting to write documentation for not only the non-expert, but for those whose expertise was gained by a different route.

As I'm now retired, I would have time to read and comment from a newbie's point of view. [Caution - retirement sometimes causes free time to be broken up strangely ;]

Before writing this, I went looking to see if the Debian project had a formal structure for a newbie to contribute. I went to:

http://www.debian.org/
http://www.debian.org/intro/help [1]
http://www.debian.org/devel/join
http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp
http://www.debian.org/doc/
http://www.debian.org/doc/cvs

The nearest I found to a reference to a formal structure was "You can help writing documentation either by working with the official documentation provided by the Debian Documentation Project or by contributing at the Debian Wiki." [1]