Re: Reviewing nobootloader for wheezy

On 08/12/2012 02:59 PM, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Hello Milan,
>
> and thanks for your patch for nobootloader. Got a quick question though.
>
> Changelog excerpt:
> | nobootloader (1.35) unstable; urgency=low
> |
> |   [ Milan Kupcevic ]
> |   * Do not assume Linux kernel verison is 2.*
> |   * Use symlink 'vmlinuz' instead of full kernel name.
>
> But I see this change in postinst which looks a bit unrelated:
> | @@ -148,7 +148,7 @@
> |             scsi,0)
> |                 path="/pci/scsi/disk@$bus,$target,$lun" ;;
> |             *)
> | -               path="<unknown path>" ;;
> | +               path="hd" ;;
> |         esac
> |
> |         # map theidevice to the OF aliases from /proc/device-tree/aliases.
>
> Can you please clarify whether it was intended?

This changelog line is missing:

* Fallback to factory default HD firmware alias, not to <unknown device>

And what that does?

At the end of nobootloader installation, d-i prints out a line the user
installing the system is supposed to type into firmware prompt to make
it find kernel on machine boots/reboots. The 'path' variable in question
is the firmware device path used in the printed line on Pegasos machines.

I've replaced the technically invalid firmware path '<unknown path>'
with the device alias 'hd' which works out fine when the machine has
only one HD, or if the user installs the system on the first HD when the
machine has more than one drive.

In my wheezy installer tests it always falls back to <unknown path>.
This happens because the kernel internals changed since the original
Pegasos code in nobootloader was written. To fix it properly, it
requires significant rewrite. Which is not worth. I would rather spend
more time into making Grub2 installer working on Pegasos and other
PowerPC machines. But this change is too late for Wheezy. It has to wait
for Jessie.

In the meantime, the changes made in nobootloader version 1.35 are
enough to make it work for wheezy.

Milan