Re: pkgsel: please clarify intention of "|| aptfailed"

On 6 August 2012 14:33, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
>> These semantics could be enforced by replacing use of aptitude with
>> equivalent calls to apt-get, or updating aptitude to 0.6.9 series (in
>> experimental) which can report the errors similar to apt-get.  IMO
>> apt-get is preferable because it is simpler and would ensure the most
>> consistency possible within pkgsel.  However, there may be users who
>> rely on the current implicit support of aptitude-only search patterns
>> in pkgsel/include.
>
> I thik this is what should be done, despite this (minor)
> inconvenience. We (IIRC) never documented that aptitude search
> patterns are supported in pkgsel/include.
>
> Help in doing this is likely to be appreciated..:-)

Attached converts the aptitude calls to more-or-less equivalent
apt-get.  On an installed system, aptitude is sometimes able to
upgrade a few more packages than apt-get:

$ aptitude -q --without-recommends -y full-upgrade -s | grep upgraded
548 packages upgraded, 18 newly installed, 5 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
$ apt-get -q --no-install-recommends -y dist-upgrade -s | grep upgraded
544 upgraded, 12 newly installed, 2 to remove and 5 not upgraded.

Given that the upgrade in pkgsel is performed on minimal system this
is unlikely to be much of a difference, but note that I am not
familiar with why pkgsel is using aptitude, or whether this use was
introduced because apt-get was deemed to have issues sometimes.

Regards