Re: Default boot partition

Le mardi, 31 juillet 2012 15.05:02, Arokux B. a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> GRUB2 supports boot partitions on a lvm volume. LILO too, if I'm not
> mistaken. Why then a boot partition is created on bare metal by
> default by the d-i? Will you welcome a patch that makes boot partition
> to be on a lvm volume by default?

While this might sounds a nice idea, we are IMHO way too much ahead in the
Wheezy release process to do this type of change now. This might still be an
interesting patch for Jessie (Wheezy+1), to be discussed once Wheezy is
released.

(That said, one reason to have /boot on bare metal is that a frequent use-case
is /boot and cryptsetup on bare-metal, lvm on cryptsetup. It would be possible
to have lvm =on=> cryptsetup =on=> lvm and boot =on=> lvm but I doubt it's
worth the complexity.)

Cheers,
--
OdyX