Re: netinstall via PXE

Dear Samuel,

Samuel Thibault schrieb:
Hello,

Ulrich Krause, le Thu 03 May 2012 12:08:22 +0200, a écrit :
The line in "/etc/dhcp3/dhcp.conf" regarding the filename should read

'  filename "pxelinux.0";'

(instead of '  filename "/pxelinux.0";'

It seems it was already fixed in another place.  I don't see why '/'
should be needed, my tests show it is not, so I have removed it.

Uncompressing "netboot/netboot.tar.gz" into the tftp boot image directory
leaves "pxelinux.cfg" as a link to the directory
"debian-installer/i386/pxelinux.cfg". Setting this link to
"debian-installer/i386/pxelinux.cfg/default" resolves the "directory error"
of PXE, but doesn't start the installation. This is only achieved by copying
the configuration file "debian-installer/i386/boot-screens/syslinux.cfg" to
"pxelinux.cfg/<ip-address-in-hex-with-uppercase-letters>". In my example the
client-IP was "192.168.1.2", so the files name had to be "C0A80102".

This did the trick !

But that's not supposed to be needed, that's odd. See pxelinux.txt
documentation, pxelinux.cfg is really supposed to be a directory,
containing various possibilities, including "default", which is what we
provide since that's independent from any hardware. Since we provide
pxelinux.0 ourself, that's really how things are supposed to happen.
Where did you take your netboot.tar.gz?

Samuel

I am not a computer expert. I just followed the instructions after downloading the files (Debian mirror at ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de). The instructions didn't work for me, so I searched the web for hints. The "ip-address-in-hex-with-uppercase-letters" did it. Unfortunately I don't recall which other small changes ("/" or not) I did previously in which order. I just thought that a footnote indicating that for some equipment the HEX filname might work could save other peoples time.

Thank you for getting back to me !
Ulrich

begin:vcard
fn:Ulrich Krause
n:Krause;Ulrich
org:AMODIA Bioservice GmbH
adr:;;Rebenring 31;Braunschweig;;38106;Germany
email;internet:ulrich.krause@amodia.de
tel;work:+49 531 260 17 64
tel;fax:+49 531 260 17 66
note;quoted-printable:Liefer- und Besuchsadresse:=0D=0A=
	Geysostra=C3=9Fe 19 (D-Hof)=0D=0A=
	38106 Braunschweig
url:http://www.amodia.com
version:2.1