Re: The status of desktop-base in wheezy

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:25:52PM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Adam D. Barratt <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> (22/06/2012):
> > On 21.06.2012 21:08, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> > > As many of you know, we're tragically close to freeze. As a result,
> > > the usual process of voting, debating and picking a theme via
> > > consensus is not really possible. There was also a distinct lack of
> > > interest in such a process, as well.
> > >
> > > I've taken it upon myself to start getting desktop-base into shape
> > > for wheezy.
> >
> > Many thanks for handling this.
>
> Indeed, I'm very happy you took my “suggestion” into account. ;-)

:)

> > > * Once it's in good shape, or directly before freeze, an upload to
> > >   unstable will be targeted.
> >
> > Please don't rush the changes in order to make the freeze date.
> > Getting exceptions for updates introducing the new artwork won't be
> > an issue (well, unless you leave them until the week before release,
> > but don't do that :P).
>
> If you can come up with a pointer to some doc (writing it if needed)
> about the affected packages, that would be nice. I'll be trying to
> release d-i beta 1 this week-end, and I might be interested in picking
> (or avoiding) a few changes of yours. ;-)

Sure, no problem -- I'll push it here before I wiki-ize it.

I filed two bugs against packages which ship spacefun against
ldm-themes[1] and SLiM[2].

I was only able to track those two down by searching for "spacefun",
which might be incomplete (background.png, anyone?), but I'm sure there
are others.

I'm sure d-i has some artwork that would be great to replace -- there's
a banner for d-i on the wiki[3] that looks like it might be able to
slide in.

It looks like syslinux / isolinux also needs to get a quick update, I'm
going to be sending an email about that shortly.

GRUB, GDM, KDM, Ksplash, KDE, plymouth all all have their changes done
from desktop-base, so no need to play around with those packages, but
who knows how a changed background will break stuff :)

If you want to test how this interacts, the cut in SVN will install (but
is not done yet) and give you a feel for the current state of things.
Might help when you're testing (bugs welcome!)

Once I go through and find a decent way to track down all the spacefun
in the archive, I'll have a more complete list.

I'll keep a wiki page updated at:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktop/WheezyArtworkMigration

[1]: http://bugs.debian.org/678474
[2]: http://bugs.debian.org/678475
[3]: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/Joy

> (I didn't check the d-i wiki pages yet, maybe it's there already.)
>
> Mraw,
> KiBi.

Cheers,
  Paul