Re: [sparc] Kernel NULL pointer dereference in sungem/gem_poll() (Re: updates)

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 11:04:22PM +0100, Jurij Smakov wrote:
[snip]

> Only two non-trivial things here: execution of ethtool_lite(if_name)
> and invocation of arping. I would put my money on the former (defined
> in ethtool_lite.c), because it uses low-level ioctls to query the
> interface state.
>
> You can test whether running it would trigger a failure on your
> machine by downloading ethtool_lite.c and building it as a standalone
> binary, the following commands appear to do the trick:
>
> $ sudo apt-get build-dep netcfg
> [...]
> $ gcc -o ethtool-lite -DTEST ethtool-lite.c -ldebconfclient -ldebian-installer
> $ sudo ./ethtool-lite eth0
> ethtool-lite: eth0 is connected.
> $
>
> If that triggers a null pointer exception on your machine (try it both
> with and without network brought up and check dmesg afterwards), we
> will be in a very good position to report it upstream for fixing.
i cannot repeat the issue using ethtool-lite (or arping) while booting
from disk, i can repeat the issue booting from network (22/05/2012
image) running netcfg or udhcp

also i can repeat the issue running
~ # ip link set dev eth0 up
while the cable is plugged in, or running the command and plugging the
cable later

if i (after getting the netimage) remove the link on eth0 and plug
eth1, installer works fine

--
1AE0 322E B8F7 4717 BDEA  BF1D 44BB 1BA7 9F6C 6333