Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors@iki.fi> writes:
> Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> writes:
>> No, you don't.  On a default Debian system you need to be a member of
>> the "floppy" group. From  /lib/udev/rules.d/91-permissions.rules :
>
> Yeah but you are not a member of that group by default surely?

No, that decision should be left to the adminstrator.  The point was
that you don't need to be root, and you probably never should be when
doing something like that (to prevent being only one typo away from
disaster).

>> You mean that they allow you to burn a CD but not write to a USB
>> stick?
>
> Yes, I understood this was the default. If you put users to floppy group
> then remote users can read usb sticks of local users.

I fail to see how burning to a local user's CD is any better, but yes,
if that is a consideration then they need some system to tie the rights
to console access.  I believe ConsoleKit and the replacement
systemd-loginctl attempts to solve such problems.

Bjørn