Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

Hello,

Joey Hess, le Sun 13 May 2012 20:39:20 -0400, a écrit :
> Neil Williams wrote:
> > "supporting only the smaller/lighter desktop environments" is exactly
> > what comes out of accepting that the first two options just won't be
> > acceptable. Changing compression is only putting off the inevitable.
> > There's *no* reason to think that GNOME or KDE are going to get back
> > below the 1 CD limit at the next Debian stable release.
> >
> > I'd support XFCE4 as the default Graphical Desktop Environment and
> > possibly putting GNOME (and KDE) as alternative options.
> >
> > That way, GNOME and KDE (as explicit options) should only show up in
> > the list if using a medium which can provide that amount of packages.
>
> While I have started putting XFCE on systems I install for family etc,
> I am not sure if it's really suitable yes to be the default desktop
> environment. There are probably quite a lot of fit and finish issues.
> Here are two major problems:
>
>[...]
>
> * There does not seem to be much accessability support in XFCE. With
>   gnome, we have a fully accessible system from the login manager on.
>   Accessability improvements are on the XFCE roadmap; this should
>   improve with time. http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.10/roadmap/accessibility

Well, things are not so clear. With gnome, we *used* to have a fully
accessible system from the login manager on. The gnome3 transition
has brought a lot of regressions, and using XFCE as a base for an
accessible desktop makes a lot of sense; at least as much it does with
gnome3. Quoting the abovementioned page:

“but there are a lot of parts of the interface (custom widgets, buttons
without label) that are hard to access with a screen reader.”

I haven't tried myself, but gnome3 most probably introduced
non-accessible custom widgets, buttons without labels, etc. For
instance, the alt-F2 widget, used a lot by blind people, is currently
inaccessible...

> I hope that we can avoid the CD size forcing the desktop for at least
> one more release. Note that we had the same trouble the last two
> releases, and managed to make it fit in the end both times.

It looked to me like it was harder and harder each time.

Samuel