netinstall via PXE

Dear Sir or Madam,

yesterday I have managed to install Debian/Squeeze on a rather old computer via PXE using "tftp-hpa" and "dhcp3". The procedure you provide at ".../manual/xx.i386/ch04s05.html" (chapter 4.5 pp.) did not work. PXE stopped with a "directory" error, resulting in "boot file not found".

So please allow me to explain the necessary differences to get the installation started:

In chapter 4.5.1.1:
The line in "/etc/dhcp3/dhcp.conf" regarding the filename should read

'  filename "pxelinux.0";'

(instead of ' filename "/pxelinux.0";' Note: This might not be the main change.)

In chapter 4.5.4:
Uncompressing "netboot/netboot.tar.gz" into the tftp boot image directory leaves "pxelinux.cfg" as a link to the directory "debian-installer/i386/pxelinux.cfg". Setting this link to "debian-installer/i386/pxelinux.cfg/default" resolves the "directory error" of PXE, but doesn't start the installation. This is only achieved by copying the configuration file "debian-installer/i386/boot-screens/syslinux.cfg" to "pxelinux.cfg/<ip-address-in-hex-with-uppercase-letters>". In my example the client-IP was "192.168.1.2", so the files name had to be "C0A80102".

This did the trick !

It might be that this renamed config file is necessary only for old PXE cards, but a hint on your site might help others with the same problem.
Please feel free to add this information to the installation procedure.

Yours sincerely,
Ulrich Krause

begin:vcard
fn:Ulrich Krause
n:Krause;Ulrich
org:AMODIA Bioservice GmbH
adr:;;Rebenring 31;Braunschweig;;38106;Germany
email;internet:ulrich.krause@amodia.de
tel;work:+49 531 260 17 64
tel;fax:+49 531 260 17 66
note;quoted-printable:Liefer- und Besuchsadresse:=0D=0A=
	Geysostra=C3=9Fe 19 (D-Hof)=0D=0A=
	38106 Braunschweig
url:http://www.amodia.com
version:2.1