Re: TRIM support for ext4

On 03/12/2012 07:58 AM, Floris Bos / Maxnet wrote:
On 03/12/2012 07:51 AM, Joey Hess wrote:
Floris Bos / Maxnet wrote:
In addition to that, it would also be nice if the "-E discard"
option is passed to mkfs.ext4, so that it TRIMs the entire disk
partition prior to creating the file system structures.
-E discard is the default, according to mkfs.ext4(8)

Not the most clear man page...
On the (Ubuntu) version I have on my desktop, it also says nodiscard is the default?!

Hmm, and to make things more complicated.
The RELEASE-NOTES that come with the e2fsprogs source say that the default is what you put in mke2fs.conf

==
Mke2fs now understands the extended option "discard" and "nodiscard",
and the older option -K is deprecated.  The default of whether
discards are enabled by default can be controled by the mke2fs.conf
file.
==

Still does not explain what behaviour you get when neither discard nor nodiscard is listed in that file... *sigh*

--
Yours sincerely,

Floris Bos