Re: Proposal: convert all udebs to xz compression

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 11:17:05AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Code review:
>
> +	while (fgets(buf, sizeof(buf), infp)) {
> +		if (strncmp(buf, "data.tar.", 9) == 0) {
> +			compression_type = buf + 9;
> +			break;
> +		}
> +	}
>
> There is no point in looping here, because if the ar -t output is somehow
> longer than sizeof(buf), the data.tar.* output could be split across buffers
> and so you've already lost. Anyway, with a buffer of 8192, that won't
> happen unless the deb format changes in a very unexpected way.

it's looping over the lines, as fgets stops at newlines.

> FWIW, this code would fail if the dpkg format got a new member named something
> like data.tar.gz.sign.

True.  OTOH udebs are a very restricted environment.  Should I look out for
additional dots?  That might break compression formats with multiple
components.  ;-)

> +	puts(buf);
> leftover debugging?

Yep, thanks for spotting it.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern
--
 .''`.  Philipp Kern                        Debian Developer
: :' :  http://philkern.de                         Stable Release Manager