5% of blocks for root more than necessary?

    Hi,

When the Debian installer creates a file system, it reserves 5% of blocks for root or privileged processes. That's an old default percentage which could be replaced by a more appropriate amount.

The optimal amount to reserve is probably neither a fixed number of blocks nor a fixed percentage, but a good estimation for it could be calculated in the installation script and set e.g. by tune2fs after the creation of an ext2/3/4 partition.

I don't know very much about the processes of Debian development... so, should I make an entry about this to a bug database or somewhere?

Thanks for considering it,
Vesa