Debian installation on recent MacBook Pro: "Cannot read `/grub/core.img' correctly"

Dear all,

I'm struggling to install Debian Testing alongside OSX (Lion; chainloading
rEFIt/grub2) on my recent MacBook Pro. rEFIt is installed and I shrunk OSX
(using Bootcamp) to 200 of the 750 available gigs. Whenever I go through
debian's installation process and partition the available 550g with a
"/boot" ext2 partition directly following the 2 present OSX partitons, grub2
fails to install into that boot partition (/dev/sdb4) with the error "Cannot
read `/grub/core.img' correctly". I have tried MANY proposals found through
google ...
1) I installed without a bootloader, resynced the MBR using rEFIt and tried
to install grub via a rescue disk ...
2) I installed the core system, folloed it with the installation of gptsync,
synced the MBR and tried to install grub2 ...
Is there anything else I could try to get this to work?

Thanks for any hints, Joh