Re: lenny with new installer

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 15:38 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 12:07:55PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > I am testing upgrades from lenny to squeeze in a VM.  To get as close as
> > possible to my existing system I used the lenny installer, but the new
> > installer reportedly supports lenny too.  If I use it, will I get the
> > same setup in the end?  In particular, I need software RAID with the
> > same metadata format (0.9) than I'm using for real; I also have LVM and
> > dm-crypt.
> >
> > My concern is that the newer installer will use newer versions of tools,
> > especially for some of the initial low-level setup.
>
> It certainly would.  The squeeze installer does not use 0.9 software
> raid format anymore in my experience (which I consider a good thing).
Thanks for the info.  I guess I'll stick with the conservative strategy.

The RAID upgrade problems seem to be tied to 0.9
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=593648), so doing away
with it seems like a good idea to me.  Except for testing upgrades!

> > If it is safe to use the new one, how does one get lenny?  Some docs
> > suggest it's an option in expert mode.
>
> Why not use the lenny installer to install lenny?  Seems simple enough.
http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/debian-installer/ says "Some of
these installation images may no longer be available, or may no longer
work...".  Plus I thought it might be a little more capable, for example
with getting my disk setup in place or pulling from the a local cache.

But the images I need are still there, and still work for me.

Ross