Re: Adding ISO-search support to the CD (netinst) images?

Heya²,

given no answer and me having some minutes here in Berlin during the
congress, I accidentally the D-I.

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 12:37:16PM +0100, Evgeni Golov wrote:

> With yesterdays Grml release, I thought I could spend an hour or so
> automating and improving my setup.
> Step 1 was to replace the two Grmls with grml96 and booting it via
> Grub's loopback instead of syslinux [1].
>
> Step 2 would have been doing the same with Debian, but as Debian doesn't
> have the alternative grub boot grml has, I though I just could loopback
> the iso, load kernel and initrd from it and rely on the
> iso-scan/load-iso stuff to find the iso again.
> Sadly, this does not work, as the initrd of the ISO does not contain the
> iso-scan/load-iso like the hd-media [2].

I took d-i, cdrom-detect and iso-scan from git and added like 5 lines to
it:
D-I: load iso-scan and load-iso to the cdrom build
cdrom-detect: do not run when booted with "findiso" parameter
iso-scan: when run after a successful cdrom-detect, do not run

the modified ISO can be found here:
 http://people.debian.org/~evgeni/tmp/debian-7.0-amd64-NETINST-findiso.iso

patched git trees:
 http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=users/evgeni/tmp/debian-installer.git;a=summary
 http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=users/evgeni/tmp/cdrom-detect.git;a=summary
 http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=users/evgeni/tmp/iso-scan.git;a=summary

How to use:
boot as cdrom

OR
grub2:
 loopback loop /debian-7.0-amd64-NETINST-findiso.iso
 set root=(loop)
 linux /install.amd/vmlinux findiso
 initrd /install.amd/initrd.gz
 boot

OR
kvm:
 kvm -kernel dest/cdrom/vmlinuz -initrd dest/cdrom/initrd.gz \
  -append 'findiso' -hda /tmp/blah  -boot a
with dest/cdrom the d-i freshly built stuff (or from iso), /tmp/blah an
qemu image with fs, with the iso in it.

the currently only glitch is, that both modules are displayd in the UI
when booted. is there any way to remove a module after another was
successful? sorry, i'm a d-i n00b.

comments highly appreciated!

Evgeni

--
Bruce Schneier can read and understand Perl programs.