Preseeded d-i image doesn't boot from USB anymore

Morning d-iers

First and foremost thanks a lot for your amazing work on d-i! I use Debian
since years and the installation is always fantastically easy.

A few weeks ago I started to work with d-i's preseedeing capabilities and
after finding a nice way (or better a description in the debian wiki [1]) to
regenerate the debian ISO image with the new preseeded installer a problem
appeared for me which I couldn't solve. Neither by finding a solution in the
debian wiki, with Google or nor by reading the debian installation manual.

To regenerate the debian ISO I use the attached script (modified from [1]) and
here is a short extract of the included commands:

###########################
mkdir /tmp/loop
mount -o loop $1 /tmp/loop
mkdir /tmp/cd
rsync -a -H --exclude=TRANS.TBL /tmp/loop/ /tmp/cd/
umount /tmp/loop

mkdir irmod
cd irmod
gzip -d < /tmp/cd/install.386/initrd.gz | cpio --extract --verbose --make-
directories --no-absolute-filenames
cp $2 preseed.cfg

find . | cpio -H newc --create --verbose | gzip -9 >
/tmp/cd/install.386/initrd.gz
cd ../
rm -rf /tmp/irmod

genisoimage -o test.iso -r -J -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table
-b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat .
###########################

$1 is the used Debian testing ISO and $2 the preseeding file.

When I test this generated image in Virtual box it works flawlessly. But when
I copy the image to a USB stick (with every of the 3 in the installation
manual described methods) it doesn't boot on any PC I've tried (at least three
different).

When I copy the unmodified Debian image to a USB stick it works.

So where is the problem? I'm thankful for every hint.

Thx a lot for any help
Mario

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed/EditIso