lower debconf priority and install additional package via a postinst script

Hello,

I am trying to install some additional packages via a custom .udeb
that run just before finish-install step of the debian installer
(which runs with priority critical).  What seems to be tricky is how
to lower the debconf priority for these *specific* packages and get
prompted for questions of these  packages that have lower than
critical priority.

The following lines from the udeb postinst script doesn't work.

. /usr/share/debconf/confmodule
set -e
db_set debconf/priority medium || true
/bin/apt-install ssmtp

I suspect that this is a file descriptor problem, because when I try
the following command lines from another VT it works as expected
debconf-set   debconf/priority medium
/bin/apt-install ssmtp

Any ideas?

Nikos