E: Unimplemented function

Hello,
I have a machine with multiple network interfaces and the installer
picks eth0 by default so I am trying to edit initrd and add a script
in /lib/debian-installer-startup.d/ to select the correct interface
based on IPAPPEND (which gives us BOOTIF=<macaddress> on the
/proc/cmdline). The script is pretty simple, like so

. /usr/share/debconf/confmodule
<get mac address from /proc/cmdline>
<get correct interface from /sys/classes/net/* based on mac address>
db_set netcfg/choose_interface <interface>

This script runs, however I get the "E: Unimplemented function" error
when the script runs on startup and waits there. I have to hit ctrl-c
to break out of that and then it continues forward as expeted. I
suspect the error has something to do with
/usr/share/debconf/confmodule but I don't know what and I can't figure
it out. Any help would be appreciated.