Consoles and d-i

Hello,

I've noticed that 2.6.38 kernel supports TIOCGDEV ioctl, which can be
used to unambigously determine the real tty device corresponding to
/dev/console [0]. I believe that by using this we can significantly
simplify reopen-console-linux script in rootskel [1], and use the
device from /var/run/console-device in finish-install's 90console [2],
instead of the current method based on looking at the fds of the
debian-installer binary.

I expect that doing it this way will (at least) fix the installs for
machines using sunhv.c serial drivers, for which the current rootskel
detection does not work. It is quite possible though that I'm
overlooking some important details, so if you know of reasons why such
changes are not a good idea, please let me know.

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2011/03/msg00069.html
[1] http://git.debian.org/?p=d-i/rootskel.git;a=blob;f=src/sbin/reopen-console-linux
[2] http://git.debian.org/?p=d-i/finish-install.git;a=blob;f=finish-install.d/90console

Best regards,