Upcoming changes to xserver-xorg-* packages

Hi folks,

this is just for your information, no action is needed on your side.

We have 3 udebs for the server + drivers:
 - xserver-xorg-core-udeb        : the server itself.
 - xserver-xorg-input-evdev-udeb : the evdev input driver (keyboard/mouse).
 - xserver-xorg-video-fbdev-udeb : the fbdev video driver.

[I'll use core, evdev, and fbdev in the rest of this mail.]

In squeeze, there's no dependency between drivers and the server.

Since there was no upgrade scenario to take into account, nothing
could break; indeed, there were no versions to mix together! :)

The second part of [1] explains where we came from, and what we wanted
to achieve. The packages landing in sid in a few minutes will
implement the plan described in [2].

 1. http://blog.ikibiki.org/2010/11/10/XServer_1.9/
 2. http://pkg-xorg.alioth.debian.org/reference/dependencies.html

Bottom line for the udebs, where the same mechanism is at work:
 - core  Provides: xorg-input-abi-11, xorg-video-abi-8
 - evdev Provides: xorg-driver-input
         Depends:  xorg-input-abi-11, xserver-xorg-core-udeb (>= 2:1.8.99.904)
 - fbdev Provides: xorg-driver-video
         Depends:  xorg-video-abi-8, xserver-xorg-core-udeb (>= 2:1.8.99.904)

In other words: both drivers depend on the server, with the
appropriate ABI, and with the appropriate version.

As far as I can tell, the only issue you could be having in the next
weeks is if you try to build an image with an old driver (or two of
them) along with a new server.

KiBi.