Re: Switching g-i from DirectFB to X11 -- image size; library reduction

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:

> On Wednesday 24 February 2010, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>
>> While I'm in Syslinux mood: version 3.85 has a full-featured gPXELinux
>> component, boasting HTTP support (among others).  Image loading over
>> HTTP is *much* faster than over TFTP.  On the other hand, it requires an
>> additional HTTP server, and thus probably not worth the hassle for
>> single shot installations.  It could be useful for testing, though.
>
> Would any changes be needed in D-I images to use that? I can see it as an
> option, but not as a default.

Only in the netboot infrastructure: you have to configure your DHCP
server to pass gpxelinux.0 as boot file name instead of pxelinux.0, and
further that requires URLs for the kernel and initrd location.  Once
those are loaded into memory, everything is all the same.

> IMO it's mostly useful if we were to offer to install Debian directly from
> the Internet, and IIUC that's what it was developed for.

Yes, why not.  We could even ask the boot.kernel.org people to include
D-I images in their bootable set.  Debian Live is already there...
--
Regards,
Feri.