Re: Switching g-i from DirectFB to X11

On Thursday 18 February 2010, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Could you discuss directly on the bugzilla, maybe?  Also, in my
> understanding it would be better to use the us layout by default as it
> seems to be the majority in NL?

Yes, the US layout definitely needs to be the default. That's why for
console-setup I set the default for NL to the us layout some time ago.

That may have been incorrect because at the time I misunderstood the
concept of "origin" (which I still find very counterintuitive).

But it should be 100% obvious to users that normally they should choose the
US layout and the Dutch layout only if they actually have one. The Dutch
layout should not be called something like "Dutch standard", but rather
something like "Localized Dutch layout" or "Original Dutch layout".

The Dutch layout is increasingly rare, although some companies still use
it, but even then in general only for their desktop systems and not for
laptops.