Re: Thai support in framebuffer d-i

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 February 2010, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
>> For sure, I've tried it again by choosing to run a shell under d-i
>> environment (BusyBox), then mount my /home partition and
>> cat some Thai text files. And it works.
>
> Ah. Wait a second. Did you do this using a *graphical* installer image for
> Lenny? In that case what you're seeing is 100% expected and completely and
> utterly unrelated to what is possible in the regular installer.

Hey, I used daily built Squeeze installer from here:

  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/i386/iso-cd/

There is no graphical installer.

> The shell you start from the menu in the graphical installer is *not* just
> a console! It's more like running xterm or konsole. It uses pango and gtk
> and all the other libs that are only available in the graphical installer!

I know the difference. And it's not such console.

> Unless you can also get readable text after booting the *normal* (newt
> based) installer, there is really no point in persuing this any further.

It's the *normal* installer.

>> 7 rare characters, 10 Thai digits, and 4 Thai punctuation
>> marks are missing in total.
>
> That must simply be because they are not included (quite possibly because
> they are not used) in the TTF font used in D-I. Maybe that needs updating.

TTF? I think directfb uses bitmap font. And if it's the TTF used in G-I,
I as the font maintainer know well they are not missing.

In fact, the G-I console does need a monospace font. But currently
only one proportional font is provided in the ttf-thai-tlwg udeb.
And it's really ugly when used on the G-I console, due to the
dotted circles added to combining characters by Pango.

Regards,
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/