Re: [RFC] Degrading reiserfs to optional filesystem?

(Please reply to the d-boot list.)

Hello Felix,

On Saturday 30 January 2010, Frans Pop wrote:
> What do people think of degrading reiserfs support to optional, i.e.
> only usable by specifically selecting partman-reiserfs in anna?
>
> The rationale would be that its popularity has decreased (AFAIK),
> upstream development is not very active and that more (and better?)
> alternatives are available now than there used to be when reiserfs was
> quite popular.
>
> IMO its relevance for new installs for Squeeze could be minor.

We're considering to make support for reiserfs optional in Debian Installer
for Squeeze. In the D-I team there seems to be consensus for that.
Main reason is to reduce the memory footprint for standard installs which
has increased amongst others because support for other filesystems (ext4,
and possibly also btrfs) has been added.

As mentioned above, reiserfs would still be supported, but only if the user
explicitly selects it. The only change needed is lowering the priority of
udebs, which I'd take care of.

Comments?

Cheers,
FJP