Re: netcfg: using udhcpc to get dhcp lease fails

Hello Frans,

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> On Saturday 30 January 2010, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> > I built a netboot image without dhcp3-udeb to test udhcpc, but it
>> > failed miserably as it did not manage to get a lease during netcfg.
>> > How well was this tested?
>
> Works OK now. Nice.

Good; I have a limited way of testing it now so it is nice to know it
has worked fine to you.

>> Now it has one. /var/lib/udhcp/udhcpc.leases.
[...]
> Probably worth adding/fixing for udhcpc is:
> - missing option host-name

I've added it but I can't test it right now. Please see if it works for you.

> - missing option domain-name-servers
> - missing option dhcp-server-identifier
> - strange leading slash for subnet-mask
> - typo option domain-nam (missing e)
> The other differences are probably not that relevant.

I've fixed/added them all.

> Oh, and we also need 'ntpservers' I think. I can't test that here now, but
> netcfg does (in dhcp.c):
>    if ((d = fopen(NTP_SERVER_FILE, "r")) != NULL) {
>        char ntpservers[DHCP_OPTION_LEN + 1] = { 0 };
>        fgets(ntpservers, DHCP_OPTION_LEN, d);
>        fclose(d);
>        unlink(NTP_SERVER_FILE);
>
>        if (!empty_str(ntpservers)) {
>            debconf_set(client, "netcfg/dhcp_ntp_servers",
>                        ntpservers);
>        }
>    }
> and the clock-setup postinst has:
>    db_get netcfg/dhcp_ntp_servers

Yes; it should work fine. The script writes the content to the file
netcfg expects. I couldn't test it as well but ought to work fine.

> Also, if I run netcfg multiple times with dhcp3, I get multiple leases in
> the leases file. You seem to overwrite the existing file. Not sure if that
> needs fixing or not.

I think it is not worth. syslog now has the gotten IP each time it
runs so is easy to spot if it has been run twice.

--
Otavio Salvador                  O.S. Systems
E-mail: otavio@ossystems.com.br  http://www.ossystems.com.br