Re: Status of netcfg-static

On Wednesday 27 January 2010, Josef Wolf wrote:
> I am wondering what netcfg-static is good for. Looks like it is an
> (outdated) subset of the more generic netcfg.

No. It's used for s390:
installer/build/pkg-lists/netboot/s390.cfg:1:netcfg-static
installer/build/pkg-lists/generic/s390.cfg:3:netcfg-static

> Unfortunately, even the
> common code of the two programs seem to have diverged over time (no
> wonder, duplicated code almost always suffers from this disease).
>
> Given that the netcfg/disable_dhcp option exists, is netcfg-static
> really needed?

Yes.

> BTW: anybody sees how the GET_STATIC state in netcfg.c is supposed to
> work:

I would need to look into that.

> Here is a first attempt to bring those two programs in sync again. There
> are more differences (especially in the GET_INTERFACE state), but I have
> not done a closer look at them yet.
> -    enum { BACKUP, GET_INTERFACE, GET_HOSTNAME_ONLY, GET_STATIC,
> WCONFIG, WCONFIG_ESSID, WCONFIG_WEP, QUIT} state = GET_INTERFACE; +
> enum { BACKUP,
> +           GET_INTERFACE,
> +           GET_HOSTNAME_ONLY,
> +           GET_STATIC,
> +           WCONFIG,
> +           WCONFIG_ESSID,
> +           WCONFIG_WEP,
> +           QUIT } state = GET_INTERFACE;

Wireless is useless for s390 (and static network config is almost per
definition not suitable for wireless), so the wireless bits should not be
synced.

> -    while (1) {
> +    /* Check to see if netcfg should be run at all */
[...]

On s390 network configuration is required.

>     netcfg.c - Configure a network via DHCP or manual configuration
> -   for debian-installer
> +   for the debian-installer

This is incorrect.

Cheers,