localechooser: One more proposed change

On Wednesday 06 January 2010, Frans Pop wrote:
> With this patch the preferred locale question will be asked
> - at high priority for the English/Germany case (default: en_US.UTF-8)
> - at medium priority for the English/Australia case (default:
>   en_AU.UTF-8)

After testing this change I think we should consider a change to the final
two locale selection dialogs.

First of all we need a minor string change because the "selected system
locale" no longer depends only on selected language/country but can also
be the selected preferred locale.

So IMO we need:
- Based on the selected language and country, the default locale selected
- for the installed system is '${LOCALE}'.
+ Based on your previous choices, the default locale for the installed
+ system is '${LOCALE}'.

I also think we should now change the option to select additional locales
(i.e. the last two dialogs) from medium to low priority:
- as Colin has argued, showing a "raw" list of locales really does require
  the user to know exactly what locales are and is therefore a real
  "expert" option
- it is less needed at medium priority because we still offer quite a lot
  of flexibility at medium priority
- the need to offer legacy locales if less than it used to be

So that would mean:
-               db_input medium $tpl_supportedlocales || [ $? -eq 30 ]
+               db_input low $tpl_supportedlocales || [ $? -eq 30 ]
[...]
-                       db_input medium $tpl_di_locale || [ $? -eq 30 ]
+                       db_input low $tpl_di_locale || [ $? -eq 30 ]

Comments?