Installing using a ethernet card that is not recognised

Hi, I'm trying to install Debian Lenny and it turns out the installer
doesn't have the right driver for my ethernet card, the relevant
output of lspci is:

14.00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co,. Ltd.
RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02).

I have the drivers as a .tar.bz2 but I'm having troubles getting them
on the computer in the first place as I'm having no luck mounting an
ntfs usb stick to copy them off.
The other option was to burn the file to a cd, but even then I
couldn't the cdrom!  I'm a little stuck and would much appreciate any
help you can offer.

I have had the card working on a Debian Lenny offline install*, but it
required me to get the 'make' command and 'linux-sources' from the
install cd using apt, this seems not to be an option in the shell
provided during the install, and I can foresee problems when trying to
compile the drivers.  *because of missing packages this was almost
unusable, I'd feel much safer with an online install, hence this
trouble

Note also that as I have no method of transferring the information
between computers so I can't post the full output of lscpi -v.

Thanks a lot, I eagerly await your reply,
Andrew