Re: ([I18N, USABILITY] configure keyboard dialogs)

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 03:22:23PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Well, that question was never asked before for console-data, even for
> non-latin keymaps. But it's probably one of the very few candidates to
> keep, indeed.

For the Cyrillic languages it was asked by console-cyrillic.  And for
the other non-Latin languages, well, they simply didn't have good
support before console-setup.

> > For Bulgarian it is imperative to add 'bg(phonetic)'.
>
> Ah? The console-data to xkb translation code was using just us,bg,

This code was irrelevant, again because of console-cyrillic.  Most of
the people are using the other layout and both layouts are as different
one from another as qwerty and dvorak (people using one of them are
unable to use the other).

> Err, no, console-setup-mini doesn't provide
> /usr/share/console-setup-mini/keyboard For testing, I just touch
> /usr/share/console-setup-mini/keyboard actually.

Ok, indeed.  This didn't occure to me. :)

> > 2. the same can happen in the udeb if the user uses preseeding.
>
> I don't understant this.

People will be unable to preseed values that are not supported by the
short list.  But I agree, if this question is used only by the udeb and
not by the main package, then it is only a wishlist to support
non-standard layouts.

Anton Zinoviev