Re: Touchscreen support in d-i

Thibaut Girka, le Sat 06 Nov 2010 17:43:39 +0100, a écrit :
> Le samedi 06 novembre 2010 à 16:31 +0100, Samuel Thibault a écrit :
> > Thibaut Girka, le Fri 05 Nov 2010 22:03:54 +0100, a écrit :
> > > Hm, but how to do that?
> > > I've had a quick look at what the gnome tools do, but it really seems
> > > overly complicated. Moreover, we want a simplified keyboard.
> > > Maybe we could just have keycodes in the keyboard definition, and use
> > > xlib to do the keycode to keysym lookup (that way, the layout of the
> > > virtual keyboard is the one set in X), but AFAIK, keycodes are
> > > vendor-dependant, and I can't find an xlib function to do KeyCode/KeySym
> > > to utf8 lookup.
> >
> > You mean XLookupString ?
>
> Well, XLookupString works, but i thought there was a better way.
> I've made a quick and dirty modification to matchbox-keyboard, and it
> kinda works, but I'm not sure storing a list of keycode is really a good
> idea.

What do you mean by "storing a list of keycode"?  In a package?

I mean you can fetch it dynamically from the X server, and automatically
display a keyboard appropriately.  You can even watch for layout
reconfiguration, thus no need to explicitely connect with console-setup,
just watch it change the X server layout.

> > Have a look at xkbprint, it exactly is able to show your keyboard as X
> > knows it.
>
> xkbprint prints the name of the keysyms, not the corresponding
> character... or I'm missing something.

Well, yes, you can use XLookupString to convert the few ones where it'd
be needed to get a nicer output for the user (like eacute -> é, degree
-> °). I guess I just don't see what you think is missing from the X11
protocol.

Samuel