Re: preseed software raid, one device with many partitions?

On October 29, 2010 07:56:03 am Mario Kleinsasser wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would love to,  but from my googling it sounds like preseeding software
>
> > raid
> > + LVM is a black art of some sorts.  Lots of chatter on google,  but not
> > much
> > solid info.  If anyone has any examples of this,  I'd love to see them.
> >
> > TBH,  I don't think the many raid device issue is a breaker,  it just
> > "looks"
> > messier then a nice hardware raid /dev/sda device.
>
> We are using the following setting to preseed a LVM configuration during
> netinstaller setup on multiple servers without any issues.
>
> d-i partman-auto/method string lvm
> d-i partman-lvm/device_remove_lvm boolean true
> d-i partman-lvm/confirm boolean true
> d-i partman-auto/expert_recipe string                         \
>       boot-root ::                                            \
>               150 150 150 ext3                                \
>                       $primary{ } $bootable{ }                \
>                       method{ format } format{ }              \
>                       use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 }    \
>                       mountpoint{ /boot }                     \
>               .                                               \
>               5120 5120 5120 ext3                             \
>                       $primary{ } method{ format } format{ }  \
>                       use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 }    \
>                       mountpoint{ / }                         \
>               .                                               \
>               500 10000 1000000000 ext3                       \
>                       method{ format } format{ } $lvmok{ }    \
>                       use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 }    \
>                       mountpoint{ /var }                       \
>               .                                               \
>               4096 4096 4096 linux-swap                       \
>                       method{ swap } format{ } $lvmok { }     \
>               .
> d-i partman/confirm_write_new_label boolean true
> d-i partman/choose_partition \
>        select Finish partitioning and write changes to disk
> d-i partman/confirm boolean true
>
> This works with the latest Debian 5.0.6. Please try this settings. I you
> want I could post our whole configuration.
> Be careful that you are not missing any dots in the lines!
>
> Mario

I have no issue preseeding an lvm install,  what I'd like to do is be able to
create on md0 device (being software raid 1, spanned over 2 disks) and have
that whole md0 device be my lvm partition.  Then be able cut up that lvm
partition into usable bits (/boot,/,/home etc)

I haven't been able to find a working preseed example of something like that.
and have had zero luck playing with it for a few days now.

Ryan Braun
Aviation and Defence Services Division
Chief Information Officer Branch, Environment Canada
CIV: 204-833-2500x2625 CSN: 257-2625 FAX: 204-833-2558
E-Mail: Ryan.Braun@ec.gc.ca