Re: Request for updated info on d-i for the Release Notes

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 05:40:34PM +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Here are data for localization:

Thanks Christian for the update.

> D-I now supports 67 languages (including English) with 5 really new
(...)
> - Wolof and Welsh disabled (too incomplete translations).

Wasn't Serbian disabled too? (at least this is what I found in previous
announcements from d-i)

Based on this information, I have updated the section about
languages like this:

    New languages

        Thanks to the huge efforts of translators, Debian GNU/Linux
        can now be installed in 67 languages. This is three more
        languages than in lenny. Most languages are available in both
        the text-based installation user interface and the graphical
        user interface, whileas some are only available in the
        graphical user interface.

        Languages added in this release include:

          * Asturian, Estonian, Kazakh and Persian have been aded to
            the graphical and console installers.

          * Kannada and Telugu have been added to the graphical
            installer.

          * Thai, previously available only in the graphical user
            interface, is now available also in the text-based
            installation user interface too.

        Due to the lack of translation updates three languages were
        dropped in this release: Serbian, Wolof and Welsh.

    Improved localisation selection

        The selection of localisation-related values (language,
        location and locale settings) is now less interdendent and
        more flexible. Users will be able to customize the system to
        their localisation needs more easily while still make it
        comfortable to use for users that want to select the locale
        most common for the country they reside in.

        Additionally, the consequences of localisation choices (such
        as timezone, keymap and mirror selection) are now more obvious
        to the user.

> (I find the last sentence a good way to give Frans some dedication
> without giving too much emphasis to it, which he would maybe not have
> wished. Of course, your mileage may vary)

You will see that I have ommitted that. I would be more comfortable if the
d-i made an official dedication to Frans for Squeeze. Will that happen?

Regards

Javier