Re: using isohybrid for usb bootable isos

Joey Hess writes:
> Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > That itself is a minor pain, but not enough to make me complain about
> > a useful feature. The *more* difficult thing is trying to make
> > iso-hybrid work with jigdo: we make the .iso and .jigdo files directly
> > in the same invocation of genisoimage, so anything we do to
> > post-process the .iso files won't show up in the .jigdo
> > equivalents. :-(
> >
> > I've been trying to find time for ages to either: (a) add iso-hybrid
> > support directly into genisoimage, or (b) port the jigdo code from
> > genisoimage to xorriso, which is the long-term plan. xorriso already
> > includes the needed iso-hybrid support, but it'll take quite a lot of
> > work to add jigdo code there.
>
> I take it it's not an easy option to have jidgo just run isohybrid?

Actually, jigdo-file(1) is not involved with the creation of *.jigdo and
*.template files, as it is replaced by Steve's JTE code (run inside
genisoimage) which eventually could be changed isohybrid-wise. I don't know
how doable and sane would be that, to be honest.

I agree that generating both representations (ISO and jigdo/templete) by
reading the source data just once, does cut the read-IO about twice.

> One problem with your long-term plan is that it would not allow adding
> on the firmware partition prior to generating the jidgo, as xorriso
> won't be doing that.
>
> (I do wonder if it's worth spending scarce time on jidgo.)

Well, the jigdo representation efficiently upgrades (slightly) outdated iso-
images, you have downloaded a week or month ago. Nothing beats that with
regard to the impact on saving time and bandwidth at the user's side,
especially image testers and early adopters. Thus, I'd rather see it as more
efficient approach to have that whole post-processing work just done once on a
central site, many to reuse efficiently. This is currently even doable via
xorriso (iso-hybrid support included) generating these images, which can then
be given to jigdo-file to complete their jigdo representation.

Steve, this does not mean we have given up on porting JTE to xorriso. We are
currently discussing that with Thomas as time permits, but identifying a
proper design and eventually implement it takes its time.

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>